SoundWave’s mission is “Transformation Though Music”. Following the organisational restructure in 2010 the organisation refocused its core provision and purpose and created an artistic vision as already mentioned.
SoundWave’s artistic vision is “Discover, Explore and Perform”
This vision is at the heart of everything we do, our programme provides everyone with opportunities to discover music through a wide variety of genres and settings. There then follows the opportunity to explore further and finally the option to perform if participants so wish. Training and development opportunities cut across all three levels of activity.
- SoundWave aims to provide enjoyable, high quality, participatory music-making opportunities for all people but specifically children and young people in challenging circumstances throughout Cumbria.
- By utilising the skills and experience of our music leaders we aim to address the needs of local communities, schools, individuals and groups, through a variety of exciting and engaging projects.
- We aim to nurture and develop talent at all levels, set challenges and build opportunities through our vision – Discover, Explore and Perform
- We aim to have a positive impact on lives through music
- The Programme
SoundWave provides a variety of accessible participatory music-making projects. SoundWave provides participants with opportunities to ‘discover, explore and/or perform’ through a wide ranging programme of musical activity including:
- Youth Music Programme – a Youth Music funded project addressing the needs of young people up to the age of 19 or 25 if the young person has special learning needs
- Vocal Programme – a wide ranging singing programme for children, young people and adults based in schools, community and employer settings
- Community Gamelan – an Indonesian orchestra, which can bring together communities and groups
- Early Years – a participatory music project for the under 5’s
- Music Technology – incorporating visual art
- Formal Education – (14-19 Creative & Media Diploma, music curriculum KS1, 2 & 3, foundation learning)
- Percussion – Djembe drumming
- The Community
SoundWave provides opportunities for communities, groups and individuals to discover music, explore particular genres and perform if they so wish. We will:
- Provide opportunities for young people in challenging circumstances
- Young people who may not otherwise experience music.
- Engage with schools and communities to provide opportunities
- To continue to develop and deliver our Early Years programme
- To engage vulnerable adults
- Build communities of interest
- Skills & Experience
SoundWave has a highly skilled and experienced workforce and we aim share our skills by providing high quality learning and development opportunities by:
- Providing Community Music Leader traineeships
- Offering graduate placement opportunities
- Providing Arts Awards for young people (bronze, silver and gold)
- Volunteering opportunities
- Work placement/experience opportunities
- CPD for teachers and trainers
We hope you enjoy exploring our website, and look forward to developing a transformational experience with you soon…
SoundWave is grateful for the support of Youth Music, Sing Up, The Sage Gateshead, Arts Council of England, Cumbria County Council, Allerdale Borough Council, Barrow Borough Council, Carlisle City Council and Copeland Borough Council, Plunkett Foundation, Northern Rock Foundation, PRS Foundation, Heritage Lottery Fund, North-west Development Agency, Cumbria Vision, European Social Fund, , Cumbria Cultural Skills Partnerships and Sure Start.